Digressions from 27 months of Peace Corps in the Borderland.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

What I learned from the PCMO on Personal Health Day:

Yesterday was Personal Health Day. On this day, a Peace Corps Medical Officer comes to my town and gives me shots and is supposed to equip me and my cluster with helpful information and meds to prevent us from getting the Swine Flu during the current outrageously manic outbreak of the virus here in UA. Well, our dear PCMO gave us our shots and gave us about 5 and 1/2 hours of lecturing medical advice and "how-to" tips.. for example, how to: give first aid to a person who while clipping their cat's nails, unfortunately let things get a little out of hand and let fiesty cat rip eyelid in half and scratch through to the eyeball. Yes, folks- these are our medical concerns in the UA - it really happened. (not very helpful scenariou for me because I hate cats and as long as I can choose, I will not be anywhere near a cat in UA or ever)

ANYWAY, after 5 1/2 hours of lectures and "what if" scenarious... Our PCMO shared with me the most helpful medical advice I've received since I've been in country:


Stay Fit.
Don't get bit.
Don't get hit.
Don't get lit.
Don't do it.
Don't eat shi--

-PCMO Sasha


(applicable to all Americans traveling abroad)

No comments:

Post a Comment